Do I still need to file a self assessment tax return?

08/01/2019 15:13:15
For the tax year 6/4/17 to 5/4/18 I took £1,235.87 from my hobby selling craft and prop items.
My expenses were £1,270.27.
I made a loss of - £34.40.
Do I still have to fill in a tax form as I went over £1,000 or do I qualify for the new £1,000 allowance because I didn’t make any profit?
(I still have supplies and made up stock, and I’m still selling my items during this tax year).
I also have employment, but I don’t earn enough to go over the personal allowance threshold.

I’d be grateful for any help, as the examples given on the websites don’t relate to my situations.
  • HMRC Admin 50
  • Joined: 21/06/2017 15:34:03
  • Messages: 1618
  • Offline
  • View profile
  • Send message

Re:Do I still need to file a self assessment tax return?

08/01/2019 15:33:59

Thanks for your question

If your self-employment income was over a £1000 then you will need to complete the self-employment page along with the SA Return.

Please refer to the following link;

Tax-free allowances on property and trading income

As you have PAYE income you will also need to complete the employment page.

Please also note this board is now locked as our session has ended. We have another Q&A session on Thursday 10 January 18:00-19:00 and you can join this session and ask any further questions you have. If you need to ask a question prior to this session then please post it to our general Self Assessment board.

I hope this helps.