holiday lets

25/04/2019 10:42:56
We have two holiday lets on a managed site. Bookings taken by the site management incur a commission charge levied by them. This is anywhere between £50 and £150 per booking. They charge this gross and do not say whether they have accounted for VAT or not. On request for information they are vague and won't give a proper answer. They are VAT registered and so are we. Can we insist on a VAT invoice or assume VAT is being paid by them and reclaim it?
  • HMRC Admin 50
  • Joined: 21/06/2017 15:34:03
  • Messages: 1617
  • Offline
  • View profile
  • Send message

Re:holiday lets

29/04/2019 08:36:18

Thanks for your question.

You should go back to them and ask for a VAT invoice, as you can’t assume that they have charged it.

Also, if you are looking to recover any VAT they may have charged you then you will require a valid VAT invoice to support your claim.

Please read section 16 of VAT Notice 700 that talks about VAT invoices and when they should be issued.

VAT guide (VAT Notice 700) - section 16

I hope this helps.