Armed Forces Pension Scheme and Tax

29/04/2019 11:00:19
Hi There; I have an Armed Forces Pension currently Tax is deducted before each payment, and I have to do a self-employed self assessment at the end of the tax year and receive most of this tax (about 85% this year) back as an overpayment. However I've now given up work and want to know whether:
a. it is possible to change the tax code on these payments as it's a fair whack of tax each month,
b. I actually need to do a Tax return each year since this is now my only source of taxable income.

Re:Armed Forces Pension Scheme and Tax

29/04/2019 12:57:04

Without having access to your tax records there is now way of knowing why so much tax is being deducted from the pension and whether you still have any Self-assessment criteria.

I would suggest that you contact our helpline to discuss your personal situation:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thanks for your question.

Would you be interested in helping us improve the Forum? We are looking for volunteers to spend some time speaking with our research team. If you think you could help us, please click the link below for more information and to register your interest:


We look forward to hearing from you.