Self assessment, employment expense payments

07/05/2019 06:51:30
I am currently employed but am filling out my self assessment form as I also have income from a rental property. I am unsure how to fill in a section from ‘Employment benefits and expenses’, specifically the question 'Have you received any taxable benefits and expense payments from NHS?’.
I use my own car during my working day and claim back mileage through my employer. This mileage is taxed (PAYE) before I receive the payment and is shown on my standard payslip. Would I therefore need to answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to this question, and if ‘yes’ which section would I put this information into?
  • HMRC Admin 50
  • Joined: 21/06/2017 15:34:03
  • Messages: 1615
  • Offline
  • View profile
  • Send message

Re:Self assessment, employment expense payments

07/05/2019 13:22:04

Thanks for your question.

You would answer "no" to the employer benefits question. Benefits are declared to HMRC by your employer via a P11D. Benefits include company cars, medical insurance etc.

If you are claiming mileage allowance relief you would complete the expenses section of the return.

I hope this helps.