Subsistance allowances

09/05/2019 10:42:56
As a self-employed person working in the theatre when travelling away from home for shows I am sometimes paid allowances for accommodation and food out of which I have to pay for these. Do such allowances have to be declared as income and then the expenditure claimed as expenses? If not, how should they be handled?
  • HMRC Admin 50
  • Joined: 21/06/2017 15:34:03
  • Messages: 1615
  • Offline
  • View profile
  • Send message

Re:Subsistance allowances

09/05/2019 12:35:15

Thanks for your question.

The allowances you are paid will need to be added in to your income from the self-employment and treated as part of your turnover. Whether you are then entitled to claim the cost of these as expenses will not always be allowed.

I have given you a couple of links from our Business Income Manual. The first is specifically regarding actors and entertainers and may answer some questions you have:


The second link is regarding the general rules for business travel and subsistence and this may be the one you need to refer to you for this matter:


I hope this helps.

Would you be interested in helping us improve the Forum?

We are looking for volunteers to spend some time speaking with our research team.

If you think you could help us, please click the link below for more information and to register your interest:


We look forward to hearing from you.