Council Tax on property

09/05/2019 14:56:55
I am selling a property which was previously let. I am now paying the council tax whilst it is on the market. Can I offset this on my tax return? Thank-you

Re:Council Tax on property

10/05/2019 13:28:54
Hi Iblezard
Thank you for your question. Council tax would be an allowable expense if you are still receiving rental income. You state that the rental income has ceased therefore you cannot claim for the council tax that you are paying whilst the property is on the market. When you sell the property you may claim for expenses incurred in the disposal of the property against any Capital Gain that may arise but these must be incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the disposal of the property.
Please see
for further information.
Would you be interested in helping us improve the Forum? We are looking for volunteers to spend some time speaking with our research team. If you think you could help us, please click the link below for more information and to register your interest:
We look forward to hearing from you.

Council Tax on property

10/05/2019 13:51:04

Council Tax on property

10/05/2019 13:51:05
Yes you can within the relevant tax return