Self Employed and claiming Business Expenses

10/01/2018 15:30:50
10/01/2018 15:17:58
Hello, I have been self-employed since 2013, but I never claim the expenses, because I don't know how to do that and I can't afford to hire a tax return accountant. I would like to ask about the property, car, Internet and other expenses.
I live in a 3 bedroom council house together with my 2 children and 1 student who stays at my house during holiday time (for example during Christmas and the New Year). I occupy 1 room for my business, which I use for wrapping sold items, storing packaging materials and some expensive items, printing parcel labels and for work on the computer (uploading item images, etc.). My council rent is £350 per month. So my question is; can I write this 1 occupied room rent as allowable expenses on my self-assessment tax return? Can I include the electric, gas and water bills as allowable expenses? How can I show the record of gas and electric if I have a top up meter? My shop is online, so the main use of internet cost is for my business purposes, but the internet isn't registered on my business name. How can I claim the Internet expenses? Also, I have a private car which I occasionally use for the business trips like dropping off the parcel to the parcel collection point or to collect the items bought on eBay for reselling purposes at my shop, so I know the exact millage used for the business trips. How can I claim these car expenses?

Thank you,
Sigita Blaziunaite

Self Employed and claiming Business Expenses

10/01/2018 16:51:48
Hi there. These expenses would be put on your tax return under the self employed section. I have attached a few links for you to look at regarding the expenses allowable for working at home. there is also a link that will help you calculate your business mileage and this can be put on the same section as your home expenses.