Just Starting Out

07/02/2018 13:57:25

I'm similar to a few people here. I am a stay at home mum who enjoys crafting and would like to take my craft a bit further by selling - primarily online and perhaps later (much later) to sell in craft stalls.

I am in the process of obtaining my National Insurance Number as I'm an American living here permanently with British husband. Firstly, I was asked to bring proof that I'm starting a business to my appointment, but I'm not sure what consitutes "proof". I need the National Insurance Number before I can apply otherwise. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, what licenses would I need to obtain. I'll only be selling cards and stationary online (Etsy does have option to sell internationally) and as I mentioned - craft fayres/stalls.

Just want to be sure I'm doing this right. Thank you for your help!


Just Starting Out

08/02/2018 10:56:03
Hello there, If you are looking to setup with the assistance of an accountant, you will need to provide proof ID (Passport or UK Driving Licence), proof of residence and residential address details for the last three years. You will also have to provide details of name changes if any. National Insurance Number plus a few more details relating to you and your business would be needed if an accountant would be signing you as a client. You may apply to be self-employed via the HMRC website or seek a professional accountant's help. Selling the products you are intending to does not necessarily require a licence from a local authority although some online platforms would require you provide assurances that any copy rights or trade marks are not infringed. I hope this helps - Ash

Just Starting Out

08/02/2018 14:47:32
Hello, and thank you for your question.

You will need to register as self-employed and obtain a Unique Taxpayer Reference.

I have attached a link to the page on our website which advises what you need to do.


Here is a link to an alphabetical list of different licences which are required for various trades.


In relation to what proof the National Insurance office need, you would need to ask them what they require.

Hope this helps.

Re:Just Starting Out

08/02/2018 15:38:18
Hi Ash
Thank you for your post and advice.
Kind regards