Making Tax Digital » Authorising New Client » Go to message

If they need to be set up for MTD then it would be through your new ASA account.

If they are not required to follow the MTD rules then you can sign them up via your VAT for agents gateway account as you did before.

If you are getting an error message when setting up via your new ASA account please make sure you are following the step by step guide:

Making Tax Digital for VAT as an agent: step by step

Thanks for your question.

From your post it would appear that you are a tax agent and this and future posts may be more appropriate to the HMRC Agent Forum.

Please follow the following instructions to join the HMRC Agent Forum:

Step 1

  • Click here for the forum page

  • Click on “Register” in the top right hand corner of the page

  • Read and (if you are content) click “I agree to these terms”

  • Submit the details requested ensuring your Username is your Forename and Surname

  • Step 2

    Email request access to the HMRC Agent Forum.

    You will need to send the following identity information:

  • Your first name and surname

  • Confirmation of your work email address

  • The name of your firm/organisation

  • The name of your professional body/ies

  • Your professional body registration number/reference

  • Once you have sent your email, the forum team will be in touch to confirm your acceptance. After this, you will have access to HMRC’s new and improved Agent Forum, including all live and previous posts on Agent related issues.

    Thank you.

    Income from Property » Capital gains liability » Go to message
    Hi there,

    Just to clarify, all of the figures from the start of the calculation need to be halved.

    Also the customer does not have a choice of using the value as at 31st March 1982 or not. When the property is purchased prior to this date, it must be revalued and the 1982 figure used as the cost price.

    Thank you
    Making Tax Digital » MTD VAT free software » Go to message
    Hi David,

    I posted your question on your behalf to as you have used your email address as your User Name. If you send me a private message with a new User Name I can update it for you. Thanks - Admin.

    The HMRC site to which a link was provided during the MTD VAT webinar (, lists companies with 'software in development' - many of which are additions to existing accounts packages.

    Is this a definitive list of acceptable software?

    Is there some form of testing/certification/approval required from HMRC or can one use any software that works?

    For example, I found this company - . which seems to provide free bridging software for Excel for MTD VAT and links to HMRC's API, but is not listed on the HMRC site.

    Can I use it if it works or can I not because it is not listed on the HMRC site?
    Your taxes » Tax year » Go to message
    Hi there,

    If your accounting period is July to July then when completing the return you will record income and expenses for the 12 months to the accounting date that falls within the tax year.

    However in the first year of trade you should have declared the income and expenses from the July to 5 April, in the second year you would declared the income for the 12 months from July to July and record any overlap.

    Guidance on this is available here:

    HS222 How to calculate your taxable profits (2019)



    If you require more specific guidance on this you would need to contact HMRC directly:

    Self Assessment: general enquiries

    Thanks for your question.
    Self Assessment » can claim tax free allowance » Go to message

    If you have income from self-employment and you wish to use the £1000 trading income allowance then income less than this does not need to be declared.

    Information on the trading income allowance is available here:

    Tax-free allowances on property and trading income

    Thanks for your question.
    VAT » Advertiing revenue » Go to message
    Hi Peter,

    We are unable to answer your question with the information given.

    We would recommend to call the VAT Helpline on 0300 200 3700 so we can get the details required to give you an accurate answer.

    Thanks for your question.
    Making Tax Digital » MTD VAT free software » Go to message
    Hi there,

    We have list of MTD compatible software and bridging software here:

    Find software for Making Tax Digital for VAT

    We can’t confirm which, if any, of these products are free.

    HMRC does not endorse or recommend any one product or software provider.

    Thanks for your question.
    Income from Property » capital gains » Go to message
    Hi Johnwa,

    If the lease was over 50 years then the cost would be allowable against capital gains.

    The costs of decorating the property would not be allowable.

    When completing the return you can indicate that the income from property has ceased and if there is no other self assessment criteria the record should be closed.

    Thank you.
    Your taxes » How do I gift revenue direct to my customers? » Go to message
    Hi there,

    Unfortunately we are unable to provide guidance on this subject.

    You may wish to seek independent financial advice.

    Thank you.
    Expenses » Claiming for car » Go to message
    Hi jimgoose,

    If you are employed and use your own car for work for claiming expenses you would use the authorised mileage rates of 45p per mile for 10000 miles and 25p per mile thereafter and this covers all running costs of the car including repairs:

    Claim tax relief for your job expenses

    If you are self employed you can either use the actual method where you could claim a proportion of all running costs of the car including repairs, restricted to the business use or you can use the simplified method of 45p per mile for 10000 miles and 25p per mile thereafter which would also cover all running costs:

    Expenses if you're self-employed

    Simplified expenses if you're self-employed

    Thanks for your question.
    Making Tax Digital » Definition of digital links » Go to message
    Hi there,

    I’m not sure HMRC could determine if a spreadsheet was produced manually or not, but the responsibility would lie with the business to demonstrate that they had the necessary digital links in place.

    Thanks for your question.
    VAT » VAT on director's lunch or dinner » Go to message

    No, there is no limit.

    As long as you meet the conditions in Section 12, you can claim input tax on the meal.

    Thanks for your question.
    Industry specific help and support » Support for Foster Carers » Go to message
    Hi there,

    Thanks for your question.

    Sorry, HMRC no longer run specific webinars for foster carers.

    We have links to guidance for foster carers in the first post of this thread.

    We are happy to answer any questions you may have about HMRC and foster carers here. You can also see what others have been asking.

    Thank you.
    Income from Property » Annulling a Form 17 » Go to message

    Yes, this is correct, unless the transfer took place between a married couple who were living together at the time of the transfer.

    We have more information in our Capital Gains Manual here:


    I am unable to comment on the consultation at this time. You can check the following link for the outcome once available:

    Capital Gains Tax: Private Residence Relief: changes to the ancillary reliefs

    Thanks for your question.
    Making Tax Digital » Direct Debit changed but will previous quarter's claim be made? » Go to message

    We are sorry you were not able to get through, our helpline is currently very busy.

    We will need to check your records to resolve your query.

    Please keep trying to contact the VAT Online Helpdesk, by phone or webchat.

    You can find our contact details here:

    Get help using VAT online services

    Thanks for your question.