Registering with HMRC » Self Assessment » Go to message
Hello, I started a small craft business in September 2016 and have registered online for self assessment. I understand the tax year runs from April 2016 - April 2017. Do I just declare any profit from September 2016 to April 2017 or do I have to state I was a housewife from April 2016 to September 2016? My profits will be negligible (<£1500) but I will have to pay National Insurance contributions? I spoke to an HMRC adviser when I was registering and he said NI was optional? Can you confirm this is correct?

Thank you!